Sunday, December 11, 2005

I hate it

One of your friends tells you that they are leaving the country, moving in with their new boyfriend; they don't speak the language. Considering that you have been cast as the supporting kind, what sort of advise would you offer your puppy love crazed friend? Probably the first question would be how long they've known each other and how they propose to support each other. Is the boyfriend and apparent heir to one of the Spanish monarchs or heir to an oil magnate? Regardless of whether the boyfriend is going to support her, what advise would you as friend offer. Friends are there to offer support, yet in most cases we are also there to chastise our lost/confused mates. Don't they hate it when you tell them that you thought it would be a mistake? They should try it out in the land they both know before moving to a new country, that was my sentiment; please try it out here before taking such a leap. "Please!" They ignored my plea, planned the trip, quit work, booked the flight and even hosted a farewell party, a party I attended. Today I learn my friend happens to be in the country, applied for her old job and now is trying to settle back in, apparently a fight caused a change of heart. Poor thing, what am I to say next time we meet? "I told you so"?

I hate it when am right because it generally means that someone else is suffering, 'I told you so' wouldn't be the most appropriate nor sensitive statement. Why is it that at our age most of us are making such rush decisions? Don't we pause to think before we leap? How hard is it to project 5 years from now and judge whether the path we are about to take is right for us. It may seem right, C'mon! We are so excited that a new avenue has become available that we barely stop to evaluate the facts. My best and worst quality is the ability to project beyond the next day, month, year and maybe next decade. The few friends remaining think am too cautious and think too much, maybe I do. How do you balance 'living'(as they put it), logic and common sense? Statistics prove that I have been right in majority of the predictions I have made about the paths most people I know have taken. I am no believer in clarvoyancy and all that 'rubbish', my career path doesn't allow me to deal with superstition but numbers, they are yet to let me down.

Offering sound unbiased advise to your friends(2 are left for me) is vital, as is offering support when they falter. I hate being right, am a pessimist and life is very interesting when you analyze your own life. Obviously am biased when it comes to my life but, I hope I have friends who could offer me logical and unbiased advise. As a firm pro-facts activists I also have learnt that some times, it's expected we act from our heart and not reason through everything we do. Sometimes impulse is expected, I don't advise it but who am I kidding here? We aren't robots and I don't advocate dictatorial reasoning and actions in judgement, all I say is reason before you leap. Have you heard the famous excuse for infidelity, fights and lewd behaviour, "I was drunk"? I have been drunk and unless you were planning on cheating, fighting before you began drinking, chances are you will have a quiet (ignore the impression you get that you have to speak over everyone else) and majority of the times get home without a bruise, maybe broke.

Kman Productions.....................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home