Monday, August 29, 2005

Igorance & statistics

Everyday I read in the papers that a new study has found that ........... is bad for your long term health and ............... can improve on your metabolism etc etc. With these readings I also find statistical findings claiming to support the findings, 23% (NOT REAL FIGURE) chance that if eat hot chips when your young (0-5yrs) your risk of getting breast cancer will increase. I hope you get the idea I am trying to portray, findings are scaring the hell out of ordinary citizens who don't understand the law of numbers; and this scares the hell out of me.

Take for example if there is a 3% chance that a man will get testicular cancer (God forbid), he is told that eating beans or wearing boxers shorts will reduce this risk by 30% (bare with me people). What do you think is the chance that he will get testicular cancer after following this regime recommended? Lost huh? The 30% chance of avoiding cancer has you fooled I'd imagine, maybe your thinking he isn't going to get the cancer. I'd think there is a 2.1% chance that he will get the cancer anyway. Let's put this in context of 100 men, 3 will get the cancer and if they wear boxer shorts or eat beans 2.1 men may get the cancer anyway. From 3 to 2.1 men, well we’ve almost saved a human being (0.9) but these % are just from the top of my head.

Next time you read of a new diet or regime that could half your chance of contracting some illness do the math before embarking on it.


Remembers, numbers don't lie and your better off doing the math too and not just accepting as gospel what the 'experts’ tell you. I question everything I am told and want evidence and hence I am a pain in many people's butt but I love numbers and hopefully you too can try to know them. Most people I know don't push like I do and those that do will know how cynical life can get and we may criticize everything we are told (I know I do). The earth is flat and you could fall off the edge if you travel to the far ends of the earth. Remember this theory? Question most things if not everything, just don't do it like I do or you will never believe everything and you will have fewer friends; not good either.
Kman productions...............
Grab a paper next time you are out and add the numbers up and you'll be surprised how little new information most of these statistical findings have to offer. If you’re gullible then am sorry there isn't much I say, ask someone who knows.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep on asking questions, kman... that way, you'll never stop getting answers ins.

1:49 am, August 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home